Thursday, January 28, 2016

Monday Mileage - Whoops, Another Two-Fer

I have no idea how time flies by so fast! Work, life, and training have all been pretty crazy! 

Monday 1/11: Bike 30 Miles to Work
It was either a two hour social ride or a horrible-looking 90 minute indoor trainer ride, so I went with the "social" option. :) I'm having withdrawals from being outside, so I'm enjoying every chance I have to get some fresh air!

Tuesday 1/12 Swim 2,300 Yards + Speed Intervals
My coach sent me a band to put around my feet when I do the paddle and buoy sets...and apparently to just use alone too! I kind of felt like I was drowning! The speed intervals on the treadmill are always invigorating. It's fun to mix things up!

Wednesday 1/13: Bike 21 Miles (Indoors)
Well, I am most definitely right-leg dominant, and this is a weakness I intend to minimize during the offseason. The single leg drills that were part of my warm up were so awkward that I was afraid I was going to wake my fiancé up on the other side of the house! I'm more of a spinner than a masher, so I'm really hoping that the big gear, low cadence drills I'm doing will make me a better cyclist!

Thursday 1/14: Swim 2,700 Yards + Easy 4.8 Mile Run
Holy distance and descending sets! I normally start out fast and then gradually slow down as time passes. So starting out slow and getting fast is a new thing for me, and definitely not natural. Let's just say that I was actually looking forward to the paddles, buoy, and band set! It's been tempting to push myself on the easy runs after the swim, but with my half marathon coming up, I have to keep reminding myself to keep it easy!

Friday 1/15: Hills...Interrupted
I was supposed to do eight hill repeats, but then a work emergency came up so my workout was cut short. I was able to get six repeats in, and I was pretty wiped out by the last one. Unfortunately, work has been very stressful, and it definitely takes a toll on my workout performance. :(

Saturday 1/16: Run 11.3 Miles + Swim 2,000 Yards
I decided to be a rebel and run outside instead of on the treadmill. I normally start my runs fast and gradually slow down, but this run was supposed to be the opposite. I figured running outside might be a little easier, mentally. I ended up with a nasty side cramp about an hour in, but I managed to power through the entire run. I was supposed to swim immediately afterward, but apparently there is a 9:00 AM AquaFit class on Saturdays at my gym...

Sunday 1/17: Bike 33.3 Miles
It felt so great to get some wind in my hair and go outside for a ride! I might have been getting a little stir crazy this past week, as I'm used to working out outside!

Monday 1/18: Rest!
I debated riding my bike to work until I saw the workouts planned for the week. :)

Tuesday 1/19: Bike 16.4 Miles (Indoors)
So Monday ended up being a horrible day at work. I ended up going home in a daze, and managed to leave both my house keys (with my gym pass) and my wallet (with my ID) at work. So the gym wasn't happening. I did Wednesday's bike workout instead. It is amazing how getting some endorphins going can completely turn your mood around! 

Wednesday 1/20: Swim 2,500 Yards + Run ???
Well, this morning's swim started out good enough. It was longer sets, and I was doing a good job of descending in time as instructed. However, things fell apart on the treadmill. I'm not one to quit, but unfortunately that's the only thing you can do when you feel so nauseous you want to hurl. I really hope I can get to the bottom of this, and quickly!

Thursday 1/21: Swim 2,600 Yards + Easy 5.2 Mile Run
When I originally saw the swim workout, I thought there was no way I could make all the intervals. Descending in time is definitely a weakness in all three disciplines. I made my mind up that I was going to give the workout my all and that's really all I could control. I managed to make all the times except for one, and that was mostly due to a mental math error. The fun afterwards was very ok - I battled a stomach cramp again, though this time it wasn't debilitating. My coach seems to think my sodium is off, so here's hoping that she's right and that it's an easy fix!

Friday 1/22: Bike 23.2 Miles (Indoors)
I know this sounds utterly ridiculous, but I actually think I am starting to enjoy riding indoors on the trainer. Or, maybe I've finally gave in to the fact that I'm going to be seeing a lot of the trainer in the next few months, so I might as well make the best of it. Either way, I had quite the vigorous little jaunt to nowhere this morning. The single leg drills are still horribly awkward.

Saturday 1/23: 1 Hour Dreadmill Run + Swim 2,000 Yards
I made it an hour on the treadmill! I've been working hard to make sure I'm getting enough sodium, and I think it is paying off. I had no cramps, so the biggest struggle during this morning's run was mental. I'm not used to running for this long on the treadmill! I was supposed to swim immediately afterward, but of course the pool was filled with non-swimmers. I ended up swimming in the evening instead.

Sunday 1/24: 90 Minute Hilly Pavement Run
My instructions were to ditch the Garmin and go find some hills. So I did exactly that - I actually ended up rediscovering some hills in my neighborhood that I had forgotten about! At first, I felt a little naked without my Garmin, but it was kind of nice to not have to worry about a particular pace or distance goal. I was feeling pretty tight and sore by the end of the run, so some foam rolling and stretching will be in order.

*Goals from last week*
1. Up my stretching game - nope, need to start taking advantage of Mondays for that
2. Actually publish Monday Mileage next Monday - whoopsie!
3. Get back to posting reviews of stuff I like :) - nope!

**Goals for next week - basically work on last week's goals**
1. Up my stretching game
2. Actually publish Monday Mileage next Monday
3. Get back to posting reviews of stuff I like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment